Monday, June 4, 2007

14 Days Left

I figured out last night that I've seen 21 films so far at this year's festival. Considering I took the first weekend off to go play softball in Minneapolis, that's not too bad a total if I say so myself. Granted, as press screenings started about three weeks before the festival, and some people have already seen more than 50 films, a case could definitely be made I've been a bit of a slacker.

But then, they're not having to still make time for all those press screenings for Hollywood blockbusters, too, now are they. It's not my fault I had to go see the wickedly delightful Mr. Brooks the better-than-expected-but-still-not-anything-to-crow-about Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, I can't help that I have to run to screenings of Ocean's 13 and Ratatouille this week, it's just the way things work. As much fun as running around a film festival is, the reality is most of all this doesn't pay the bills, and if it wasn't for the big theatrical releases I'd probably not be getting this opportunity in the first place.
That doesn't mean I'm not going to revel in every second of it. I've been having a blast so far. Just tonight I got the opportunity to see a remarkable documentary called For the Bible Tells Me So. This is quite possibly the best analyzation of religion and homosexuality I have ever seen. So much here just simply blew my mind. Better, the conservative friend I went to it with actually had their own thoughts on it all rearranged a bit, too, the whole idea that being gay isn't a choice but is rather something you're born with more profoundly fleshed out and explained then any clinical discussion ever could have been.

What else have I seen you might not have heard about? There was Johnny To's latest Hong Kong tragi-comic potboiler Exiled (a film that made me wonder if I might actually be over my asian action phase), the Hungarian Bánk Bán (a beautiful filmed version of the famous opera gorgeously photographed by the legendary Vilmos Zsigmond) and the nightmarish Lynn Hershman Leeson sort-of documenary Strange Culture (a truly shocking story reminding me just how much I'm still mad at the Democrats for going so hog wild with the Patriot Act).

One of the best times I've had was seeing Michael Curtiz's immortal Errol Flynn classic Captain Blood on the big screen. Sure it was too long, and yes some of it was more than a wee bit dated (it was made in 1935 after all), but dash it all if the whole thing was just so blissfully energetic and evertaining I could have cared less. Is it my favorite swashbuckler? Not remotely. Is it one I could watch over and over again without growing tired of? Most definitely.

Best of all, it boasts some of my very favorie dialogue in almost all of Hollywood history. The movie is filled with delicious bits like:

Dr. Peter Blood: Nuttall, me lad, there's just one other little thing. Do you think you could find me a good stout piece of timber? About so thick and so long?

Honesty Nuttall: Yes, I think so.

Dr. Peter Blood: Then do so and lash it to your spine - it needs stiffening. Courage! We'll join you at midnight.

Or, how about these two delightful passages between Flynn and costar Olivia de Havilland:

(1) Dr. Peter Blood: Do you suppose I'd be grateful for an easy life, when my friends are treated like animals? Faith, it's they deserve your favors, not I. They're all honest rebels. I was snoring in my bed while they were trying to free England from an unclean tyrant.

Arabella Bishop: I believe you're talking treason!

Dr. Peter Blood: I hope I'm not obscure.

(2) Dr. Peter Blood: It seems that you're continually doing me favors. Faith, I don't know why.

Arabella Bishop: Neither do I. Yes I do. It's because you're so very grateful and always thank me so prettily.

Dr. Peter Blood: Sure now, you don't blame me for resenting you and your favors.

Arabella Bishop: This is interesting. I've had men tell me they had reasons for admiring me... and some few have even laid claims to reasons for loving me. But for a man to store up reasons for resenting me... how refreshing!

I watch modern movies that try to recapture this spirited type of dialogue, films like Failure to Launch and Gray Matters and I tend to just cringe. Only one of late, the splendid Hugh Grant/Drew Barrymore confection Music and Lyrics had gotten it even close to right in my mind. There were moments in that one I was practically rolling in the aisle eating up the intelligently invigorating witticisms passing between the two stars. While I'm not about to say it is as good, or as timeless, as Captain Blood, it's still pretty darn good. Now that it is out on DVD I suggest you give the film a look and discover so for yourself.

Back to SIFF, let me just say once again I'm having a fabulous time. It's been a great festival, and with only 14 more days to go part of me is starting to think it's all going by much too fast.

No comments: